Tuesday 28 August 2012

Post 16: Reckoning of a Fat Lad - August 2012


Hi, and welcome to ‘Reckoning of a Fat Lad’, very much the sequel to ‘Confessions of a Fat Lad’, which was the title of my 12th blog entry in April. If you would like to read that, or any other of my previous entries, they’re all available under blog archive in the bottom right hand corner of this page.

On Saturday (25th August) it was the 4th anniversary of Jo’s accident. As I wrote in the 4th entry of this blog ‘Come on Dickie, put your back in to it!’ a year ago, I always leave The JB Trust alone for a few days and just think about Jo. However, this year I’ve found myself thinking about how far the Trust has come and what we’ve achieved in Jo’s name. It’s been such a wonderful thing to have done and I so very grateful for everyone’s help in make it all possible. The Olympics have been amazing and I know Jo would have loved the past few weeks. There has been a lot said about the legacy of the Olympics and how it will inspire a generation. It made me think of Jo and her legacy. With the grant schemes we run every year and our oversees projects it means that Jo’s legacy will inspire and support people in sport, and that is very special.

It’s been a really productive and encouraging month on the running front, well let’s face it, it needed to be! Thanks to my friend Toby, I met a guy called Dan who will be doing the NYC Marathon for the 3rd year in a row this year. It’s been great to speak to him about specific things about the marathon but also running in general. He’s been really good in answering all the questions I have and has been a really help. We’ve agreed to meet up before and after the race, which will be really cool.

Two friends of mine, Bruce and Kiwi (who ran the London Marathon  for the Trust) have also been good to talk to. It was Kiwi’s birthday recently and we got chatting about the psychological battles you face when you’re running. It was really usual. I’ve got so much respect for Kiwi and her desire when it comes to running, so to hear her say she has the say mental battles that I have (and will) face makes me feel more confident.

I have a 5km route round by my house which I run during the week. It’s good as I’m starting to build up check points on where I should be at a certain time, which helps when I’m trying to pace myself. My usual time for this 5km was about 46mins (not exactly fast I know!) but a couple of weeks ago I decided to really push myself and try and break 45mins. I ended up doing it in 41mins, which got me really buzzing. Next goal is to go under 40mins.

Yesterday I did my longest run to date, 10 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes. On one hand I was happy I managed so far and so long, but on the other hand I was hoping to go for nearer 3 hours. That said, I didn’t take any drinks or energy gels with me and really hit a wall at the 2 hour mark. Which I think was more dehydration than anything else. Good though, as I have a place to build from and hopefully will continue to see improvements.

All in all things are going well, lots still to do and I’m working harder than ever. Before I go, can I just give a gentle reminder about sponsoring me...
There are 3 ways to you can sponsor me:
1) A good old fashion cash donation when you see me next.
2) By visiting my Just Giving Page www.justgiving.com/RBNY12
3) By texting RBNY12 and the amount you'd like to donate to 70070 e.g.'RBNY12 £5'

Must Run!
Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment