Saturday 30 June 2012

Post 14: RUNNING SUCKS – June 2012

Before I start, the first thing to say about this month’s entry is that it  was nearly called something else. It was originally going to be called TCB (more about that later) but following the purchasing of a very appropriate t-shirt, some of you may have seen it on Facebook, there was only really one title I could use this time.

Anyway, hello and thanks (as always) for taking the time out of your day to read the times and tribulations of my build up to the New York Marathon in November. If you’re new to this or would like to read the previous entries there are links at the bottom right hand corner of this page. As usual it’s been a busy month that doesn’t exactly involve lots of training or progress, however, there is hope for optimism – more on that later. I’ve started my new job, which I’m really enjoying, and feel in much better place now in terms of work / Trust / training / life balance. 

Earlier this month mum and I took dad on this rock ‘n’ roll pilgrimage to Memphis where we visited Elvis’ Graceland and Sun Studios (where Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Johnny Cash recorded all their stuff). It was an amazing trip. We had to change planes in Toronto so made the most of it by having three days there. That’s where I managed to get out and do some running. Running through a big city with skyscrapers seemed like good practice for NYC – actually while we were on a tour guide we learnt that Toronto is often used as New York in the filming of US dramas and films as it’s cheaper to film there. Running along the harbour front was amazing and certainly was a nice distraction. I’m hoping and guessing that running through downtown Manhattan will prove the same...

The other, what I’m hoping will be significant news, is that I’m currently 6 days in to the Dukan diet. A few of my mates have done it so I thought I’d give it a go. So far it’s been good. I think one of the problems about this whole marathon training so far is it has always been so far in the future. Now it is only a few months anyway and although I’ve probably left myself too much to do, it has helped getting my mind focused. In fact, honestly, I have left myself too much to do, but I’m really going to give my heart and soul in to this and do my best to make Brownie proud. I only wish I’d have started this earlier, but then again, would / could I have? Is the fact it’s only four months away the pressure I needed?

Another fairly big development on the training front is my training buddy, Hoops, has moved house. Therefore no longer round the corner to drag me out running or to the gym. So from now on I’m on my own...

I want to leave the final word of this month’s entry to the King himself, Elvis. As I mentioned at the start, this was originally going be entitled ‘TCB’ which is what Elvis called his band. It stands for Taking Care of Business and I feel that is appropriate at the moment.

It’s time to take care of business....

No comments:

Post a Comment